Thursday, January 4, 2007

The state of future pain

Items worked on today: #20, #9, #19 (Through Hanlon exercise 2)

Today saw attempt number 1 at playing racquetball. As is no surprise, being a decent tennis player was a mixed blessing. On the one hand, I do largely know how to swing a racquet. On the other, I tended to swing far too much from the shoulder and hip, and not enough from the the wrist, so when the ball bounced off the back wall, I had a really hard time getting the ball up to the front wall. I'm too used to being able to hit a lob shot, which doesn't work very well when there's a ceiling. I also tended to hit the ball higher on the front wall than was at all necessary, as I seem to be mentally adjusting for a net which isn't there. Still, 15-5, 15-5, 15-8 isn't bad for my first time playing. Next time, I'll make an effort to grab the correct bag out of my car, and thus have shorts to play in. My jeans were loose enough, but boy did it get hot in that court.

As for the title of the post, I'm fairly sure I'm going to have blisters on the inside of my feet tomorrow. They don't hurt right now, but I'm anticipating less than pleasant moments putting on shoes for a few days.

And, in my other fun moment of the evening, I made veal patties for dinner. For some reason, the package warned me that it contained beef. Um, yes, yes it does, being veal. This isn't quite as good as the time when I had a bag of airline mixed nuts with the label "Warning: may contain nuts", but it's pretty good nonetheless.

No comments: